Carrying forward a long standing tradition of wonderful.
In 1851 opera singer Jenny Lind, the "Swedish Nightengale", declared Northampton to be the Paradise of America, from which Northampton took it's nickname, The Paradise City. One hundred and sixty three years later we are still The Paradise City, and proud of it.
A lot of work goes into keeping our downtown the magical place that Jenny Lind discovered so long ago. What does it entail?
For starters, we keep downtown sparkling clean:
- We maintain 47 antique lamp posts, protecting them with an epoxy and graffiti resistant paint
- We clean the sidewalks seven days a week
- We remove graffiti
- We week the sidewalks and tree wells
- We power wash sidewalks throughtout downtown
- We clear snow from all sidewalk handicap curb-cuts and access ramps, fire hydrants and mailboxes
- We provide supplemental snow removal beginning in the areas with the heaviest foot traffic, preventing icing and ensuring that businesses can open after a storm and stay open during one
We keep Downtown Northampton beautiful:
- From Thanksgiving through Valentine's Day, we light downtown with 23,000 energy efficient LED holiday lights
- We maintain nearly 50 vibrantly filled planters throughout downtown
- We maintain close to 100 hanging plants that are the envy of surrounding communities
We pay attention to what makes living, working and playing Downtown a good and safe experience:
- We installed lights under the railroad bridge to improve pedestrian safety
- We work closely with the Northampton Police Department in their day to day operations of community policing, as well as when we have events requiring extra attention
We value the unique culture of Northampton and we work hard to make sure that something is always happening Downtown:
Events and Marketing
- We program events year round that showcase our City as not only a dining and retail destination, but also as a strong arts community
We are proud of the work we have accomplished and intend to continue to be worthy of Jenny Lind's declaration!